Friday, September 3, 2010

Interview with Joyce’s client, Diana Wallis Taylor




I’m pleased to introduce Diana Wallis Taylor to you today.

Diana has been a Hartline author for many years. We hung in there together for a long time before we got her first book published. Her book “Journey to the Well” was chosen by Lonnie Hull DuPont to be published by Revell when they decided to publish Biblical fiction. Her second Biblical fiction book, “Martha” will be released in the summer of 2011, and just this week we received a contract for “Mary, Woman of Magdalena” which will be released in the Summer of 2012. Diana truly has a gift for writing Biblical fiction. She is married to Frank Taylor, a retired Navy Commander.

Diana also writes contemporary fiction. She recently won the Gold (first place) in Christian Romance for Smoke Before the Wind and Gold in Christian Fiction for House of the Forest in the Reader's Favorite Book Review and Award Contest.

Diana, tell us some interesting things about yourself:

I love to fish for salmon in Alaska. I sing on the worship team at my church, which is a new church plant in Ocean Beach, a very eclectic area of San Diego.

What are you hoping your writing to accomplish?

To give women another view of women in the Bible that they can identify with. I want women to know that no matter how their life has gone, there is love and redemption in Christ.


Where do you get your inspiration?

From the Holy Spirit and like most authors, I write from life experiences. My characters are a composite of people I've interacted with.

Is there an area in your writing that you are working on developing more?

Still working on showing, not telling!

Have you had to overcome any obstacles in your writing journey?

My life has been a case of overcoming many obstacles, dealing with an alcoholic spouse, divorce, losing two jobs and struggling to support myself and 3 children

What is the most important thing on your current ‘To Do' list?

Get the manuscript for my current project with Revell on track. Also finish the Easter Cantata I've worked on with a musical friend for 2 years.

What led you to the career choice of becoming a writer?

I've been writing since I was 12. It was an outlet for a lonely child growing up and helped me express my feelings, startiing with poetry. I found I loved making up stories. It has had to be a sideline to earning a living, but I'm now retired and enjoying writing full time.

Tell us about the book you are currently working on

I'm working on a novel about Mary Magdalene, another controversial figure in the Bible. She's been portrayed through the ages as a prostitute in books and films, but the Bible never showed her as that. I see her as a mature woman at the time she is healed by Jesus. She evidently had independent means to support his ministry (and not from prostitution) that she is free to use, She's a challenge, but I am enjoying crafting her story.


Do you have any advice for first-time authors?

Learn our craft. I spent many hours at conferences, workshops and critique groups to hone my skills. There were two steps forward and one step back, proposals turned down, etc. Read other books in your genre and see how well-known authors handle situations. Read books on writing. We would not pick up a violin for the first time and expect to play a concerto. Also, pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide your work. It is His book, poem, story, and as we submit ourselves to Him, He will bless, instruct and guide.

Diana’s web site is www.dianawallistaylor.com

No comments: