Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Guest Blog from Joyce’s client, Lisa Harris.



 Someone asked me recently what a typical day looked like for me. I had to laugh. The word typical doesn’t exactly fit into my vocabulary. Our family lives in a rather isolated place in southern Africa, which means that we home school and most of my days are spent teaching our three kids. I also spend a lot of time cooking as everything has to be made from scratch and there are no fast food restaurants. Supporting my husband’s ministry is also a priority as well as running a new non-profit called The ECHO Project that we recently started in conjunction with our work in order to minister more to people’s physical needs.

I’ve noticed though, after being back in the States on furlough the last few months, that while my life in Africa is very full—especially when I add writing to the mix—the overall pace is still much slower. And while I miss many of the stateside conveniences, the slower pace of life is definitely a benefit of living there.

One of the things I love about living in a different country is that it widens my worldview and gives me a greater understanding into the lives of other people. I also love the chance to share what I have discovered--the people, culture, and setting--through a fictional story.

This February, Zondervan will release book two in my Mission Hope series. While the first book dealt with the very real issue of today’s human trafficking problems, the second is another fast-paced suspense set in a refugee camp.

“Paige Ryan and Nick Gilbert are trapped in an overpopulated African refugee camp where an outbreak of measles erupts and renegade soldiers block their only way out. Desperate for vaccines, they must put their own lives in the hands of God as they fight for the safety of the refugees under their protection.”

Then in March, I have a new historical coming out with Summerside Press/Guidepost about a woman caught between two worlds, the bush of Africa and New York City.

“Lizzie MacTavis is determined to remain with the people with whom God called her to work along the banks of the rugged Zambezi River in southern Africa. 

Andrew Styles, an anthropologist and explorer, has been commissioned to bring Lizzie back to New York City at any cost. With a fortune at stake, Lizzie is caught between two worlds when she is finally forced to return to the United States and discovers her life is in danger. Will Andrew turn out to be Lizzie’s nemesis or hero?” 


LISA HARRIS is an award-winning author who has over twenty novels and novella collections in print. She and her husband, Scott, along with their three children, live near the Indian Ocean in Mozambique as missionaries. As a homeschooling mom, life can get hectic, but she sees her writing as an extension of her ministry which also includes running a non-profit organization. The ECHO Project works in southern Africa promoting Education, Compassion, Health, and Opportunity and is a way for her to “speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves…the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice.” (Proverbs 31:8)
When she’s not working she loves hanging out with her family, cooking different ethnic dishes, and heading into the African bush on safari.  For more information about her books and life in Africa visit her website at www.lisaharriswrites.com or her blog at http://myblogintheheartofafrica.blogspot.com. For more information about The ECHO Project, please visit www.theECHOproject.org.

2 comments:

Lisa Harris said...

Thanks for letting me stop by, Joyce. Blood Ransom is currently available as a free ebook download if you haven't read it yet. Enjoy!

Millie Samuelson said...

Thanks, Lisa, both for your inspiring blog here and for your free book tip. I'm really into my Kindle these days since Christmas, so I'll get your book in a few minutes. I feel like I'm in a bit of time warp -- it's still Feb 8 here as I read your Feb 9 entry. . . but hey, I lived in South Africa for three years, so know about that, and about the other "things" you wrote about, including homeschooling my three kids (plus a bunch of others). Life and ministry blessings! :-)