Wednesday, January 11, 2012

New Year, Fresh Beginings, and Resolutions by Diana Flegal

January first is just a day on the calendar, but it offers us a chance to examine where we are and project our goals to where we want to be, spiritually, mentally, and career wise.

I like fresh starts, a change to begin anew and to make a new list of goals. My personality lends its way to lists. I get such a sense of accomplishment when I cross a task off; it gives me the incentive to tackle the next one. One of my clients, David Stearman, recently said in an FB post, "For my first job of the day, I try doing something I know will be successful; a sure thing. An early victory sets a nice tone for the coming day."

I do that with my lists. I write it according to difficulty, with the easiest one listed first.

A favorite movie of mine is, "What About Bob." I think many Christian counselors could use that movie as a tool in their sessions. The takeaway for me was: Get things done by taking baby steps.

Books are the source of much direction I receive from God. I read his word, yes. But maybe I have to have someone predigest it for me. When I read Max Lucado's, Cure for the Common Life I took notes, and took something away from it that I could apply to my life. I am better for it.

When I read Erwin McManus's Seizing Your Divine Moment, I was so excited to give myself permission to think outside the box. Love that about Erwin.

So when I enter a new year I gather books about me that I feel are going to make me a better person. Better at my job, better in my relationships, and mostly, a better daughter of God.

This January I am reading, Your 100 Day Prayer, Actively Waiting on God by John Snyder alongside of Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach. I just finished the novel The Wildwater Walking Club by Claire Cook. And for my continual quest to learn more about the writing process, I am just about done reading Cec Murphey's, Unleashing the Writer Within.

In my stack are two books with bookmarks in them that I will complete as I finish these others. Life Lessons by Elisabeth Kubler Ross & David Kessler (authors of Death & Dying) and When you Don't See His Plan by Nadine Hennesey with Rebecca Baker. Other stacks wait patiently for me beside my nightstand and on my bookcase.

I am curious what titles you are reading as you enter this new year. What books have bookmarks in them on your night stand? I pray your list of goals are realistic and that you have great success in fulfilling them.


5 comments:

Linda Glaz said...

Take care when reading Ross. It's easy to get caught up in self-analysis. Great info, though. Enjoy! When I read, I honestly read for entertainment, the rest of my life is reality enough.

Lara M. Van Hulzen said...

Lots of romances for research. ;-) I am trying to read 50 books this year. I can already see how setting that goal has caused me to watch less TV and also write more.

Story and Logic Media Group said...

I really, really, really want to read more in 2012. It should be a high priority for any writer.

Jeanette Levellie said...

I put the hardest task on the top of the list, and try to get it out of the way first, so I can have FUN. I am all about that little three-letter word!

Just finished Cec Murphey's cozy mystery, Everybody Loves Roger Harden, and plan to read UTWW by him later in the year. I'm also reading I Don't Have Time to Write, who's author escapes me at the moment. It's fine except for the New Age gobbledegook, which I spit out.

How do you have time to read, dear?

Jeanette Levellie said...

I mean whose, not who's. I can hear all you copy editors moaning.