Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year Reading Resolutions by Andy Scheer

What books should I read in the new year?

My resolution for the next fifty-two weeks includes not only some authors who are new to me, but also some genres toward which I don't gravitate.

I got the idea from author Bob Hostetler, with a boost from Stephen King.

Until recently I've avoiding anything by King, except for his wonderful craft book, On Writing. With apologies to Seatbelt Suspense author Brandilyn Collins, I'm just not cut out for scarey stories. But late this summer I opened King's 11/22/63 and read it straight through—twice.

Likewise I'd never read any of John Grisham's legal thrillers. But when Sports Illustrated printed an excerpt of a Grisham baseball novel, I knew I had to read Calico Joe. Now I'm thinking of searching my shelves for my mass paperback copy of The Testament.

Years ago at a writers conference Bob Hostetler described how each January he devises an annual reading plan—one that charts a course for fifty to seventy books that span a range of genres, forms, and authors.

I'm not ready to schedule my reading so specifically. I want to be open to serendipitous discoveries. But left to my own desires, I'd stick to familiar paths:
British Navy historicals (e.g.: Patrick O'Brian )
Ancient Rome detective stories (e.g.: Lindsey Davis)
amateur detectives (Aaron Elkins et. al.)
action stories by Clive Cussler and his co-writers
nonfiction travel accounts (e.g.: Paul Thereoux)
World War II histories

I'm not sure I'm ready for a romance novel. And I'll pass on political rants. Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions. If you've recently read something you just can't stop talking about, tell me too.

7 comments:

Sylvia A. Nash said...

How nice to see Clive Cussler on your list! I complete stranger introduced this author to me. He became one of my new favorites--quite a surprise to me! I don't consider myself a fan of romance, either, but since being in ACFW, I have read some really romantic suspence novels by "our" authors. It does pay to try something new from time to time! Happy New Year!

Sylvia A. Nash said...

I'm not awake yet! Corrections to first message: A complete stranger (not I). Some really GOOD romantic suspence novels. That's what preview is for, right? Going for a second cut of coffee!

Linda Glaz said...

For laughs AND suspense, try Tim Downs' Bug Man Series. I am a huge fan!!!

Meghan Carver said...

If you want to try a laid-back, non-legal John Grisham book, try Skipping Christmas. It is wonderful in many places. If you don't like bad movie adaptations, then skip Christmas with the Kranks. It really doesn't do the book justice.

The Crazy Cat Lady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Crazy Cat Lady said...

I thought I was the only one that had reading resolutions ~ Yay! Looks like I'm in good company. :)

Personally, I don't care for books that are too heavy. I read for an escape, and I don't want to feel bogged down emotionally, so I'm particular in what books make it to my list. Weird? Possibly...

On a rabbit trail, our son, who is not a reader, has picked up the Christy Barritt suspense/romance books; which I find hilarious as he's 13. When we go out somewhere, he's rather careful to hide the Love Inspired cover, or will set it on my seat to make it look like it's me reading it!

I've just added the Last Disciple series by Hank Hanegraaff and Sigmund Brouwer to my 2013 reading list, and I'm very much looking forward to getting to them.

Phone Compatibility said...

Definitely, what a splendid site and enlightening posts, I will bookmark your blog. All the Best!