Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Traditions We Hold by Diana Flegal


When I think about the traditions of the season I hearken back many years to a much simpler time.
 
At Thanksgiving, we ate our meal in shifts, there were so many of us at my grandmothers house. If the weather was decent we would play ball outside, or if it had snowed; sled or build snowmen until we were called in. Television football games served as background noise in the packed living room. Many  Polaroid photos of my various uncles sleeping off their turkey stupor testify to the good cooks in my family. But don't try to change the channel on the  television. A quick, "Hey, I'm watching the game!" would ruin our plans.

Recently I read a heart warming, nostalgic fiction manuscript. With it's small town community, neighborly 'over the fence' talking, I realized when considering it's target audience, it would not have provoked the same sentiment in my 25 year old son as it had in me.
 
How do the new traditions impact authors today writing stories?
 
A scene might include a group of cousins playing wii, or using the T.V. for a digital game of karaoke or dance hopscotch.   Maybe grandpa could suggest a game of outdoor tag football or the old standby, I SPY. 
 
A great book that can offer all kinds of creative things to do with your family and friends this holiday season is J. J. Ferrer's book  titled, Skipping Stones and Other Fun  Old-Time Games. With chapter headings of; Ball games, Brain games, Car Games etc., your sure to find something you all might enjoy.

So while things change, and quicker these days than of old; it is still all about family and friends being together and making and keeping  our memories.

Do changing traditions affect how you write 'story'? What new traditions have you added as your families have changed?  
 

 
     

 

1 comment:

Connie Cameron said...

Love the imagery of your Thanksgivings past, Diana. I miss those. In today's age, many of us boomers have kids living out of state, making it hard to get the entire family together anymore. Makes me sad, too, that shopping on Thanksgiving Day can become a new "tradition". Abe Lincoln originally proclaimed this day to dedicate to God, giving Him thanks. I guess it's up to our generation to make the effort to keep the day all about giving thanks, so that future generations can look back and "remember when."