Wednesday, September 10, 2014

The Benefits of Our Enemies by Diana Flegal


This past Sunday my pastor, Nick Honerkamp, reminded us that even our enemies have a purpose in our lives.

Habakkuk reminded the Lord that he and his people were surrounded by the enemy and were in need of his help. When was he going to deliver them?

God told him: Paraphrase: When they have succeeded in getting out of you everything I have purposed and allowed them to.    

Have you been crying out to God, “When God, when? Why God, Why?

When am I going to be picked up by an agent, a publisher? Why are they published and not me? I am a better writer.

Sometimes agents and editors can appear to be a writer’s worst enemy. Foiling you at every turn, they do not recognize your great turn of phrase, your terrific plot, and un-believable characters.

But they serve a grand purpose.

Habakkuk was wise. He enquired of the Lord.

Habakkuk 2:1, I will stand at my watch and station myself on the ramparts; I will look to see what he will say to me, and what answer I am to give to this.

He waited and the Lord answered him.

Habakkuk 2:2, And the Lord answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it. 3 For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.

So that he may run that readeth it. For an appointed time.

I am a doer. I find it hard to wait. I am a fixer, surely I can help God out with this one. WAIT.

Wait Diana, for the appointed time. HARD to do. Lord. The publishers – they publish others, and Lord, THIS is worthy. Why not this? NOW.

Wait!

Then they that read it can run with it. It will be a help to them in time of trouble, discouragement, or weariness.

Wait, for the appointed time.

Now Lord. Surely it is now.

Wait. Just a little longer. And in time, it will speak.

Habakkuk 2:3 For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not tarry.

It will come, right on time. Position yourself for it.  

 

 

 

 

8 comments:

Patty Wysong said...

Waiting and being still is sooooo much harder than DOING something (anything!).

I love that, Diana--Position yourself for it. =] So good. Jotted that note in my margin there in Habakkuk. =]

Anonymous said...

Encouraging. :)

Linda Glaz said...

Oh, Diana. So very true. Of we truly wants God's best in our lives, we accept the nos, not always gracefully, but we remember He's in control.

Anonymous said...

Diana! This is soooo true! I have walked this very path for the past FOUR years wondering why everything was so hard and why doors were closing that had always been so open to me. Feeling betrayed and humiliated - what was going on? God was positioning me on the path He set for me and closing off all the bunny trails that had fulfilled their purpose in my life. Next week I launch the scariest thing I've ever done - my own independent publishing company! NEVER would have gotten here without the work of these "enemies" in my life. Hindsight is everything.
Here's my video promo that will be part of the PubSlush campaign. Thanks again for all your encouragement at GPCWC:
http://youtu.be/l4P2CNAqAf0

Joy!
Kathy

Ann McCauley said...

Great word. Much needed. Love your honesty and integrity. Always have. God will honor you. Yes, He will.

Elaine Stock said...

Diana, I appreciate these lovely words--so full of encouragement. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

This one speaks to me. Joseph Max Lewis

Marlene said...

Diana, what you wrote was definitely a word for me...enough said.