Monday, December 1, 2014

Saw the Funniest Black Friday Comment by Linda S. Glaz



     I saw the best comment about Black Friday from a friend, James Watkins, on FB.
     Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday, and maxed credit card Tuesday.
     If that didn’t say it all, I don’t know what did. And it made me think of how writers rush to the finish line like a shopper elbowing her way toward a $5 toaster as if one day one way or the other that rush will make a contract happen. And I know (because I’ve done it). Sigh.
     A response from an agent/editor. “Nice job, but could use some work on the dialogue and then I’ll have another look.”
     Author stays up until two in the morning, making insignificant changes here and there without seeing the overall big picture of how that dialogue is not working. Tweaks and resends first thing the next morning.
     Now, I can’t speak for everyone, but for me, just receiving it again in the morning is a hint that this writer didn’t really do his or her homework. Didn’t try to see how the dialogue was lagging and dragging, and instead simply sprinted for the finish line. A writer who responds with: “I’ll look into, see what changes I can make, run it past my critters, and then resend. Will a couple weeks or even a month be too late?”
     Now I know that the writer is taking the changes more seriously. My heart aches for the writer rushing for the toaster, but at some point, they must understand that opportunities don’t just happen.   
     And we have to do our best when we get one.
     Take your time, look over your work, do your best with the changes.
     Or…go max out that credit card and forget about the novel!

7 comments:

Davalyn Spencer said...

Good advice.

Linda Glaz said...

I remember doing it all wrong, and now I understand why it didn't work.

Terri Tiffany said...

This reminder needs to be said again and again. I am so guilty. In fact, the first time an agent agreed to consider my proposal, he told me what I'd done wrong to give me a chance to make it better. I fixed what I thought I needed to fix in a couple of hours. Not good. Lesson learned once again.

Janet Grunst said...

That's why my sequel will not be arriving in your inbox very soon. Sigh.

Janet Grunst said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda Glaz said...

We've probably all done it, Terri. Funny how we have to learn things.

Diana Flegal said...

Amen and Amen! Preach it sister!