Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Appropriate or Inappropriate Social Media Posts? By Diana Flegal




I like to pray for people. Some might call it a ministry- but since I lean heavily on God for my own daily life, it is an easy thing for me to bring you with me in my conversations with him.

BUT- when you post a prayer request on FB do you have to show me your husband in a hospital gown with a nasal candela in his nose? That is way to intimate a picture for me- who has never met the man. And I cannot really see him appreciating it much. 

INAPPROPRIATE!

Or how about describing your post nasal drip, or the excessive gas bloating your tummy, or the oozing sore that makes it hard for you to sit down? 

INAPPROPRIATE! 

A more appropriate post would be to post a picture of your husband smiling and interacting with his grandchildren or even an anniversary photo of the two of you in happier times stating; My dear husband John is in need of your prayers. We had to take him to the hospital last evening. Thank you very much.

APPROPRIATE!

Or; I am experiencing back pain that is keeping me from enjoying my writing, or; folks I am standing in the need of prayer right now.

APPROPRIATE!

There is a difference between personal, family, and public situations. Please stick to appropriate posts dear Facebook friends.   Otherwise I might have to hide or unfriend you.








12 comments:

Davalyn Spencer said...

Amen.

Linda Glaz said...

hahahaha I hear ya

C. Kevin Thompson said...

What about asking people to share a post? And if they do, promising that a thousand angels will descend upon their home and bestow lemon cookies, fluffy puppies, and other assorted blessings???

Linda Glaz said...

Oh, that drives me crazy. On blogs or on FB, or any place. Now, Diana, if you'll send my comment to 30 people and say a prayer over it, you will receive whatever you asked God for. I hate using God as a parlor trick. Ohhhh!!!!

Amy Sullivan said...

Ugh! I get all squirmy just thinking about it. Blah.

Diana Flegal said...

Yes, you are right Kevin! I hide those people. Silly, silly FB friends.

Wendy L. Macdonald said...

I couldn't agree more, Diana. My husband stopped using Facebook because of the inappropriate stuff posted. I love Facebook--and I'm really careful who I friend or follow. But I do have non-Christian friends and family (grace).

I asked my sons how they'd feel if someone posted a pic of them with a tube in their nose etc. and they said they'd be mad. Even if I'm just mentioning my kids or husband I pass it by them first. They're good sports if I'm good about my posting (I can't believe they gave me permission to post about teaching them to drive--fun city!).

Blessings ~ Wendy ❀

Diana Flegal said...

Wendy, your sons confirmed what I was thinking.

C. Kevin Thompson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
C. Kevin Thompson said...

Don't mince words, Linda. Tell us how you really feel. :)

Richard C. Lambert said...

I like to pray for people. Some might call it a ministry- but since I lean heavily on God for my own daily life, it is an easy thing for me to bring you with me in my conversations with him. DripFollowers

Diana Flegal said...

Richard, I agree, it is a privilege to pray for so many, but I can do without the graphic pictures. :-)