Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Goals, Resources, and Writing Deadlines by Diana Flegal


The New Year is just around the corner. I feel it bearing down, asking me questions, challenging the way I have functioned this past year, thinking I can do better this next one. It is awful to be accompanied by such a chatty specter.  After all, it can not possibly know all of my excuses, I mean reasons I did what I did – the way I did it in 2015.

But I am reexamining things, clearing out my inbox, and catching up on the reading of client proposals and filed away submissions. Pushy bugger.

This past week I was prompted to buy a book (at retail) titled, Show Your Work by Austin Kleon. I think it will be useful as I encourage writers this next year at conferences, and through blogs like this, as well as when I need to provide a ‘pep-talk’ to a discouraged client. I also plan to buy Donald Maass’s book Writing the Breakout Novel. It was recently recommended to me by a well published author and a screenwriter. Though it was published in 2004, I am going to check it out since I highly respect these two individuals.  

I am also finalizing workshop topics and outlines for this year’s writing conference season. So far I will be attending:

February 19-21st Writers Bootcamp/ AshevilleChristian Writers Conference, at The Cove, Asheville, North Carolina  

May 22-26th Blue Ridge Mountain Christian WritersConference (BRMCWC) held at LifeWay Ridgecrest Conference Center, near Asheville, North Carolina

August 3 – 6th The Greater Philly ChristianWriters Conference (GPCWC) held at Cairn University, Langhorne, PA

How do you plan to switch it up this next year, improve your writing, or schedule some serious training?

No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everyone sitting on the couch. J

4 comments:

Starr Ayers said...

Thanks, Diana. I'm joining a Word Weavers group in January and attending the Florida CWC in February. Also planning to schedule several personal retreats in the towns in which my novel is rooted. I have a long way to go, but I'm loving the journey. And thanks for the book leads. I'll check them out too. Hope your New Year is blessed!

katy brown glymph said...

Timely post for me. I recently joined an author's group on FB,bought new laptop with external hard drive (just confirmed the name of that 'thing'with my husband),followed 7 new writer resources on Twitter and they followed me :)and I'm asking questions,returning to WABC with novel refurbished and hopefully better,scheduled daily writing time on calendar,and most importantly trying to be confident in my voice and message.

Wendy L. Macdonald said...

Thanks for always encouraging us, Diana. I keep hearing about the book you just mentioned, "Writing the Breakout Novel", and I've had it on my wishlist--so just now I've finally ordered it (using some of my gifted Christmas funds). I can't wait to read it. :)
Blessings for 2016 & beyond ~ Wendy

Diana Flegal said...

Glad this post was an encouragement and help. Sounds like you all are on track with a plan.