Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Considering Windows 10 by Andy Scheer



Have you made the switch?


I’ve not yet converted to the new operating system. I’m not sure I will.

It’s not for lack of opportunity. Many times each day a popup blocks my screen and offers two prompts:
to change now
to change later.
I click a third option: the corner box with an X.

The experience doesn’t make me think favorably toward Windows 10. As one who regularly reviews authors’ marketing plans, I don’t recommend a strategy of persistent annoyance.

Perhaps I’m deluded, but I’m comfortable using Windows 7. I stuck with it when pressured awhile back to “upgrade” to Windows 8. I tried that system on others’ machines and saw no benefit. Likewise the “improved” versions of Microsoft Word. Experience gives me reason to distrust the company’s promises of new and improved.

I might be wrong. Maybe Windows 10 will enable me to work faster, better, more efficiently. Maybe it will brighten my teeth.

There’s a chance the new system will solve my real computing needs. But at this point, they aren’t perceived needs.

I see only a steep learning curve until I reach the point I can use the program efficiently. (After three months with the new version of Word, I failed to reach that point.)

Maybe I’m missing out on something great. If so, please let me know. For some customers, the best marketing tool is still a personal recommendation.

6 comments:

Dale Day said...

I switched the day it was offered and haven't had a single regret yet.

As most of my time is either surfing the net or writing, I guess there's nothing to make things difficult for me. In fact, I think Win10 is helping my PC go faster and my LibreOffice works great!

What more could I want?

A tip - if you don't already have it, once you switch, download the free Classic Shell to get your Win7 desktop back.

Andy Scheer, Hartline Literary said...

Dale:
I appreciate hearing about the classic shell to emulate the Windows 7 desktop. (Is that offered through Microsoft or by an independent developer?) Still, my versions of Windows 7 do a great job of offering the Windows 7 desktop already.

Marlene Bagnull said...

I agree, Andy. The learning curve on new stuff can be dauntin. My husband often says, "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

Heather Marsten said...

I asked a person who helped me fix a computer problem if I should update to 10 - he said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." There are times when an update makes it necessary to adjust other programs you're comfortable with. I'm sticking with what I have - it is enough for what I need.

Andy Scheer, Hartline Literary said...

I also tend to think "if it ain't broke." But I also still listen to LP records, so I wonder about the experience of those who are less of a technophobe.

Unknown said...

Windows 10 works great on my HP desk top. I like it much better than Windows 8. HOWEVER - when I upgraded Windows 10 from 8 on my Samsung laptop I could not access WiFi. After three of four hours I gave up and reverted back to Windows 8.